4.27.2008

Athens Twilight 2008

Spring is finally here and although it may not be football season yet, Athens draws crowds from all over to enjoy the off-season tailgate of year.



Nothing marks the advent of summer and the end of a semester more than Athens Twilight Criterium, commonly called Twilight. Athens downtown is transformed into a Mecca for bikers and spectators. The 29th Annual event was held on April 25-26.

Renowned for the bike races held on the downtown track that runs over Clayton and Washington Street, Twilight offers than just the proclaimed men’s and women’s cycling that occurred Saturday night. Walking down College Ave., there was a stage set up for live bands, a stunt park, a kid’s play area with moonwalks. Also, at anytime of the day you would be sure to see some type of race, be it the kid’s bike race, a 5K or just a race for inebriation between friends.

It seems like everyone- families, students, alumni- comes out to experience Twilight.

See what fellow UGA students, Lee and Cameron have to say about it.


Since Twilight is my one of my favorite events in Athens, here are a few tips for you to enjoy for next year’s festivities to the max:

  1. Be sure to check out the music scene.
  2. Head down to Lumpkin St. by Georgia Theatre to see the turns during the bike races
  3. Don’t walk around with an open container. This is a common misconception. You have to be within sanctioned areas.
  4. Find a friend with a loft overlooking Clayton or Washington Street for the best view of the races.
  5. Take time to watch the stunts over in the stunt park on College Ave.



4 comments:

  1. I noticed you left my favorite thing about your blog off this post....the major perk and minor quirk part. So.. Major perk- one of the only night time bike races of it's kind and enjoying spring. Minor quirk- all the crazies that come out to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very True!!! Thanks for catching that.

    I apologize for the inconsistency; I debated adding this part because when I thought about Twilight, I really could not think of any quirks. Maybe, the parking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard this is the most dangerous race in the United States. Everyone seems to love watching all the crashes on the corners! Especially this year since it rained before the race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like every year i see a little more twilgiht. Next year, I'm getting a spot @ 12 and not moving till it's over. I want to watch every lap of every race.

    Twilight challenge 2009, return and join me!

    ReplyDelete