4.13.2008

Rough Draft: #1

My roommate recently showed me the “Rough Draft” newspaper that is “Free…Like the Red and Black, only better.” It is unlike anything I have seen before in Athens.

Featuring sections such as bartender of the week, shout outs, drink specials, even shows at Georgia Theatre, the 1st issue came out on April 10th.

As the front page of the issues states, founder Derek Chin picked UGA over many other campuses around the country, including the SEC. Although it doesn’t cover hard news, the soft beats are entertaining to say the least. If you like “Overheard in Athens,” you might want to check this out.

I would really like to emphasis that some of the topics may cross the line, but others, like the entertainment reviews, two sets of sudoku, and the one hit wonders playlists are any-reader friendly. The things written are utterly ridiculous and, with 10 minutes to spare between classes, it’s sure to keep you amused.

I am still a little confused if “rough draft” is in fact the title. I tried to find a little more information about it but really couldn’t find too much. I found one article about the founders. Apparently, they co-founded "The Booze News" at the University of Missouri-Columbia. The article presents it as “a new weekly newspaper that glorifies the wonders of heavy drinking.”

If any of you know more about it, PLEASE let me know about this paper as it continues to circulation around Athens.


Major Perks: Funny, Good Entertainment Reviews and Downtown weekly specials

Minor Quirks: Probably wouldn’t read some of the articles to mom

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jen!
    My roommate is the head writer for the Rough Draft and apparently it was going to be called "the booze news" but they weren't sure the name would fly here. They hand distribute the weekly issue across campus and are hoping for the funding for stationed bins next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, do you know if the Rough Draft has a website? My friend said that she thought she saw herself on the cover and we wanted to take a look at it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Max! I know a lot of people hae been waiting for this link!

    ReplyDelete